Headscarves: okay. Scrunchies: definitely not okay.
16 Style Lessons Learned From 'Sex And The City'
- 1 of 17
Has there ever been a television character that taught us more than Carrie Bradshaw? Sex & The City wasn’t merely an HBO show—it was our bible on love, life, and the pursuit of shoes. And in honor of the birthday of the woman who brought the fictional icon to life, Sarah Jessica Parker, we thought we’d take a trip down memory lane to review the greatest style lessons Bradshaw taught us all.
- 2 of 17
1. The right bag can make an outfit.
“Balls are to men, what purses are to women. It’s just a little bag, but we’d feel naked in public without it.” – Carrie Bradshaw
- 3 of 17
2. Never compromise your taste. (If you want to dress up to go to McDonalds, by all means do it)
“I’d like a cheeseburger, large fries, and a Cosmopolitan.” – Carrie Bradshaw
- 4 of 17
3. Your wardrobe counts as a liquid asset.
“I like my money right where I can see it…hanging in my closet.” – Carrie Bradshaw
- 5 of 17
4. Shoes can make you just as happy as a man.
“It’s really hard to walk in a single woman’s shoes—that’s why you sometimes need really special shoes!” – Carrie Bradshaw
- 6 of 17
5. Running to a sale counts as exercise.
“Shopping is my cardio.” – Carrie Bradshaw
- 7 of 17
6. The higher the heel, the closer to heaven.
“I’m not afraid of heights…have you seen my shoes?” – Carrie Bradshaw
- 8 of 17
7. Trends are fleeting; friends are forever.
“They say nothing lasts forever; dreams change, trends come and go, but friendships never go out of style.” – Carrie Bradshaw
- 9 of 17
8. Head scarves: okay. Scrunchies: not okay.
“I loved it…Except for one huge problem. You have your leading lady running all over town wearing a scrunchie. A scrunchie!” – Carrie Bradshaw
- 10 of 17
9. Never apologize for unconventional outfit choices.
“You shouldn’t have to sacrifice who you are just because somebody else has a problem with it.” – Carrie Bradshaw
- 11 of 17
10. The perfect fit is worth waiting for.
“A relationship is like couture—if it doesn’t fit perfectly, it’s a disaster.” – Juliette B. from Sex & The City
- 12 of 17
11. Designer labels? Yes. Judgmental labels? No.
“Some labels are best left in the closet.” – Carrie Bradshaw
- 13 of 17
12. Never be too busy to dress up.
“No matter how fast paced the city is, I always manage to get my clothes on before I leave the apartment.” – Carrie Bradshaw
- 14 of 17
13. A drop necklace is a great way to emphasize your décolletage.
“Maybe the best any of us can do is not to quit, play the hand we’ve been given, and accessorize the outfit we've got.” – Carrie Bradshaw
- 15 of 17
14. Take your lingerie to the streets—where it can be better appreciated.
“I’ve never understood sexy lingerie. I mean, what’s the point? The guy’s only going to take it off.” – Carrie Bradshaw
- 16 of 17
15. A Tide pen can be a girl’s best friend.
“I will never be the woman with the perfect hair who can wear white and not spill on it.” – Carrie Bradshaw
- 17 of 17
16. A classic stripe is always in style.
“This isn’t about stripping, it’s about striping.” – Carrie Bradshaw
Want more Sarah Jessica Parker? Here are 73 things you never knew about her (including where she would get a tattoo and what Oprah is like in person!).