Here's the Real Difference Between Culottes and Gaucho Pants


Style du Monde

You've likely stumbled upon these terms in your shopping search over the past few seasons—culottes, gauchos, and palazzo pants. And when you see them, you might wonder how they differ because they have a very similar design. They're wide-leg trousers that come in all different colors and fabrics, so why are there three different names for them? Though often the terms are used interchangeably, there's actually a subtle difference between the two styles. Below, we break down the culottes versus gaucho pants debate as well as how palazzo pants fit into this confusion, too.