Most of us have experienced the feeling of waking up the day after Thanksgiving with a debilitating hangover, not even from the booze but from the meal itself. Thanksgiving dinner involves so many delicious foods in larger quantities than most of us are used to consuming on the daily, which means the fallout from all that nosh can be rough. At worst, it can make you feel so physically and spiritually icky that you wonder how you'll ever go back to eating healthy or feeling good ever again. Indeed, Thanksgiving can be that dramatic.
Skipping Thanksgiving to avoid these risks is obviously out of the question (because, hello, stuffing). But what if you could do something the morning before your big feast to ease the consequences? What if that something came in the form of a quick-and-dirty Thanksgiving morning workout?
Luckily, preemptive de-bloating workouts do exist. In fact, we found someone to design a custom one just for THE/THIRTY: Charlee Atkins, certified strength and conditioning specialist and founder of Le Sweat. "To prep for bloat, we need to recruit as many muscle groups as possible while also being mindful of the sequencing of exercises," says Atkins. The following sweat sesh involves intense movements from one muscle group to the next, all squeezed into a short but fiery time frame. "The movements will get your heart rate up very quickly, and doing it three times through will guarantee a break of a sweat," Atkins says.
Here's a hot tip from celebrity personal trainer Jake Newlander to follow before you start your Thanksgiving workout. It sounds so simple, but begin your day with a 15-minute walk around the neighborhood. "A morning walk does wonders for the body," Newlander says. "Some of these benefits include waking up your muscles and getting your heart pumping and ready for the day."
Ready for Atkins's perfect 20-minute Thanksgiving morning workout? Just keep scrolling.
Complete each exercise for 50 seconds followed by a 10-second recovery.
Repeat each set of exercises three times with a 90-second recovery in between sets.
All you need is your body weight!
For de-bloating, you need to consider rotating or twisting your body (like a sponge), which is why we've added crossbody mountain climbers, crab push-ups, and reach.
1. Prisoner Squat
2. Crossbody Mountain Climbers
3. Push-Up to Down Dog
4. Triple-Lunge + Jump
5. Crab Push-Up + Reach
1. Start with your feet hip-distance apart, toes pointed out slightly.
2. Put your hands behind your head, elbows pointing out to your side.
3. Lower down, pushing your hips back and driving your knees out.
4. Return to start and repeat.
1. Start in push-up plank position, shoulders over wrists.
2. Bring one knee toward the opposite elbow.
3. Return to start.
4. Repeat on opposite side.
5. Move as quickly and efficiently (without losing form) as possible, completing as many rounds as possible.
1. Start in push-up plank position.
2. Lower down.
3. Push back up.
4. At the top, hinge at hips, sending hips up and back.
5. Return to start and repeat.
1. Start with one foot forward, other foot behind.
2. Lower by bending your knees (make sure your front knee stays behind your front toe).
3. Return to standing.
4. Repeat three lunges. On the third lunge, jump up and switch your legs.
5. Repeat, alternating legs.
1. Start in reverse tabletop position, knees above ankles, shoulders above wrists, hands pointed backward and slightly out.
2. Lower your hips to the floor.
3. Extend hips back up, taking one arm off the ground and reaching over the opposite shoulder.
4. Return to start and repeat on opposite side.
Next up: 5 Workouts to Stop Bloating
This article is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to be used in the place of advice of your physician or other medical professionals. You should always consult with your doctor or healthcare provider first with any health-related questions.
Tie among Linda Rodin, Hari Nef, and David Bowie.Who are your 5 favorite people to follow on Instagram?
If I have some brow gel and Sisley's Phyto-Lip Twist, I'm good to go forever.What's your desert island album?
Death Cab for Cutie's TransatlanticismWhat's your favorite Byrdie.com story?
Game of Thrones's Nathalie Emmanuel looks so achingly beautiful in our feature with her that I think it's gonna have to be that!
I Have Big Goals for 2024—Roxie Nafousi Told Me How to Actually Achieve Them
Who better than a manifestation expert?
By Eleanor Vousden
I Live for Yoga and Pilates—These Are the Pieces That Help My Flow
By Humaa Hussain
It's Time to Get Our Nutrition in Check for Summer—This App Is Making It Easy
The recipe ideas are endless.
By Who What Wear
I Just Spent Hours Searching for Stylish Workout Clothes—This Is What Stood Out
Downward Dog has never looked so chic.
By Bebhinn Campbell
If You're Battling With Digestive Issues, This Could Be Why
Turns out, you may not have IBS after all.
By Kia Topps
Our Editors Own a Lot of Sneakers, But This Pair Comes in First Place Every Time
A major win.
By Aniyah Morinia
I Changed My Mind About Strength Training When I Tried This Workout
My confidence is officially on 10.
By Kia Topps
This Type of Gear Will Take Your Workout to the Next Level
Bring it on.
By Sarah Yang