If you're feeling completely stuck in a style rut, it's time to reevaluate your wardrobe basics. Instead of trying to gasp for air as you frantically chase the latest trends, take a peek in your closet and see if you have the items needed to build a killer outfit every time. So which wardrobe basics are the most important? Which pieces should every woman have in her closet?
We'll let a few celebrity stylists handle this one. Ahead, read up on the 10 wardrobe basics celebrity stylists think every woman should have in her closet. It came without surprise that over 80% of the answers they gave overlapped with one another. What can we learn from that? That when it comes to building up a foolproof closet, you really only need a handful of items.
Andria Bush, office of Cristina Ehrlich
2. Jeans: "High-waist, skinny, boyfriend, cheap or expensive, everyone needs that go-to pair—the pair that you will forever continue to repair until they've been repaired so many times they're now a totally different jean but still your fave."
7. Little Black Dress: "So cliché but so necessary. It doesn't need to be short and tight (we are all past that trend), and the color also doesn't have to be black—this term should apply to a dress that makes you feel your best self as soon as you put it on. Again, find what's right for your body and knock them out!"
Sarah Nearis, assistant stylist at Jamie Mizrahi Styling
3. Flats or Loafers: "Walking in heels every day is painful and just pure punishment. My grandmother swore by Italian leather flats her whole life, and I never met anyone who looked chicer than her. I love Everlane shoes because they're 100% Italian leather and perfectly priced."
6. Black Pumps: "Whether you're someone who wears heels or not, you should always have a pair of black pumps in your closet. It all comes down to finding the pair that's comfortable for you, but heels will alway make you stand taller and put a little pep in your step. If heels aren't your favorite, opt for a thicker or chunkier pair of block heels for more support."
7. Basic T-Shirts: "This is a universal staple for both women and men. Having a handful of white and black tees is a must. It's a perfect layering piece and can be worn with jeans or an embellished skirt. My favorite tees are by Mother Denim. I wear them to work, out for date night, and to bed because they're so cozy."
8. Classic Purse: "A go-to tote or crossbody is crucial. I recommend black or camel leather bag because they go with almost anything and will never go out of style. Splurging on a nice bag is definitely an investment piece, and if you treat it well, it'll last for years to come. I'm loving The Wolf Gang bags right now!"
10. Black Dress Pant or Pencil Skirt: "For the dressier occasions, it is always smart to have a go-to black dress pant or favorite pencil skirt to go to. It is the perfect sophisticated staple and the perfect blank canvas to dress up by adding a fun blouse and accessories."
3. Nippies: "I love that it's no longer so taboo to see a bra anymore. Now an exposed bra can be a chic part of an outfit, but sometimes going braless is the right thing to do. In those cases, these amazing, thin little covers stick and hold for repeated uses."
5. Denim: "The best thing about denim is you can really wear it day in and day out. I love to pick a super-trendy pair every season, really wear them to death, then purge them when the trends change. Keeps my wardrobe feeling fresh and new every few months."
6. Day Bag: "I'm no minimalist, but I think a bag is the one place to streamline. I love a petite bag to help you edit what goes inside. I've yet to go anywhere and have someone not remark how cute my Carolina Santo Domingo bag is."
8. Day Heels: "My job has me running around nearly all day (usually while carrying garment bags and accessories). I'm also really petite, so I love a height boost while still being able to move around. I love a little block heel for the day. Something about even a three-inch heel makes you feel chicer and more confident."
9. Perfect Studs: "I feel that jewelry should be easy and versatile while still beautiful and luxe. These tiny studs have just enough color and sparkle that I never get sick of them!"
10. Go-With-Everything Heels: "These Gianvito Rossi Portofino sandals go with everything. Trust me—I have tried them on every client with hundreds of different looks! If you could only own one pair of heels, you'd be set with a pair of Portofinos."
1. Nude Pumps: "Nude pumps are going to be your best investment for years to come. Find a nude color complementary to your skin tone and in the material of your choice. Even though black pumps may seem like the better option, nude pumps look chic with every color."
2. Tailored Blazer: "Another investment piece for your closet is a tailored blazer. A blazer makes for the perfect outerwear item for any occasion and any season. The key to the longevity of the blazer is having it tailored to your body. I personally love to push up my jacket sleeves for a more relaxed feel."
6. Hoop Earrings: "A pair of hoop earrings in gold is the perfect transitional piece of jewelry. Petit Moi's threaded hoops are a game changer, as they can be worn all day long. Hoops are so versatile since they can be worn with jeans and a tee or paired with a dress for a night out."
9. Minimal Sandal: "A clean, minimalist high-heel sandal is the best alternative to your classic pump. This style can be worn with any silhouette and every occasion. I suggest finding an option with thin straps such as the Stuart Weitzman Nudist."
10. Slip Dress: "Even though a slip dress may not seem like a key wardrobe item, it definitely is. A mini- or midi-length slip dress is going to be the most versatile. It can be worn on a summer night with a stacked heel or paired with a blazer and sneakers for a fall afternoon."
Next up, shop the shoe trend our readers can hardly ever agree upon (but we still like anyway).
This post was originally published on an earlier date and has since been updated.