Nothing makes me happier than witnessing the rise of melanin-focused skincare. There seems to be a common theme among the Black and Brown entrepreneurs who dared to create their own lines: They couldn't find skincare (or makeup, for that matter) that supported their specific needs. Melanin-rich skin sometimes needs extra TLC—it's more prone to dark spots, discoloration, and uneven texture. Luckily, these entrepreneurs were able to find solutions that work well for all people of color and their varying skincare challenges.
Now that there are so many options to choose from, it can be overwhelming trying to narrow it down. Well, let me help with that by introducing (or reintroducing) you to the incredible products formulated with Black and Brown skin in mind. Scroll through below, and find the best skincare products all people of color should absolutely know about.
1. Hyper Skin Brightening Dark Spot Vitamin C Serum
This hyperpigmentation treatment is infused with a whopping dose of vitamin C to brighten up dark spots at a record pace. CEO and founder Desiree Verdejo formulated it with her own skin in mind having struggled with acne and scarring quite a bit in her life.
2. Ami Colé Skin-Enhancing Tint
3. Rose Ingleton MD Calming Hydration Booster Serum
If dryness is a challenge for you, this hydration-boosting serum from Rose Ingleton MD is a must. It also contains green and white tea extracts to soothe the skin and protect it against further damage—both key things for melanin-rich skin.
4. Eadem Milk Marvel Dark Spot Corrector
5. Bevel Skin Essentials Set
6. Ustawi Niacinamide Dark Spot Corrector
7. Black Girl Sunscreen Make It Matte Sunscreen SPF 45
8. Topicals Like Butter Mask for Dry, Sensitive & Eczema-Prone Skin
If you have a skin condition like eczema, this Topicals mask was literally made for you. It's a great sister product to the brand's Faded Serum ($36) for dark spots to help smooth the skin.
9. Shani Darden Skin Care Retinol Reform
10. Buttah Skin Vitamin C Serum
11. 54 Thrones African Beauty Butter
12. Pholk Beauty Daily Detox Face Wash
Pholk Beauty's founder, Niambi Cacchioli, is an aesthetician who is deeply inspired by nourishing skin foods native to Africa. Her products, including the Daily Detox Face Wash, are enriched with these botanicals. The face wash contains beneficial cleansing oils that leave skin feeling renewed and refreshed.
13. Epara Moisturizing Face Cream
I mean, Epara literally means to "cocoon yourself" in the Nigerian dialect of Ebira. So why not cocoon yourself in this luxurious-feeling moisturizer? It utilizes African botanicals to deliver your softest, most radiant skin yet. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and reduces hyperpigmentation.
14. BeautyStat Cosmetics Universal Pro-Bio Moisture Boost Cream
Founded by cosmetic chemist Ron Robinson, BeautyStat aims to create potent, long-lasting formulas. This moisture-boosting cream is great for a loss of firmness and combination skin that may be dry some days and oily others. It pairs great with the brand's Universal C Skin Refiner ($80).
15. GlowRx Skincare Clear It Out Detox Charcoal Mask
Lorraine Beraho believes skincare isn't one-size-fits-all, especially for people of color. She decided to address the skincare challenges biracial and Black adults often face by creating GlowRx. This charcoal detox mask is powered by activated charcoal, kaolin, and lecithin that help clear away congestion in the pores and rehydrate skin. It also works great for anyone with eczema.
16. Babe Essentials Revive Hydrating & Firming Eye Serum
17. AbsoluteJoi Daily Hydrating Moisturizing Cream SPF 40
18. Fenty Skin Fat Water Pore-Refining Toner Serum With Niacinamide
I must admit I love a good two-in-one. This toner-serum combo targets enlarged pores and improves the appearance of dark spots with niacinamide.
19. Danessa Myricks Beauty Oil With Gold Leaf
This highly concentrated blend of oils is great for dry, dull, and uneven skin. Keep in mind some of the oils could potentially be triggering if you have acne-prone skin. If you don't, however, it's a great winter staple to keep in your arsenal.
20. Briogeo B.Well 100mg CBD + Arnica Flower Soothing Skin & Scalp Oil
I can always get on board with a product that can be used on both my scalp and face. This soothing oil blend calms irritation and inflammation caused by breakouts on the skin and can calm an itchy scalp while it's at it.