15 Struggles Every NYC Girl Has From Now to April
Living in New York forces you to compromise on convenience. Whether it’s lugging groceries home instead of loading them up in the trunk of your car or having to deal with a stray cockroach or mouse from time to time—it’s just harder. These struggles ring especially true in the colder months of the year, particularly in the realm of personal style. Once temperatures drop, all bets are off, and the streets of New York become a battle zone for your beloved wardrobe.
Sure, it would probably be the more productive approach to try and solve some of these dilemmas, but in the name of commiseration, we decided to round up our NYC fashion girl struggles in one place, because before you know it, winter will be in full force. Sigh.
Scroll down to see our top struggles, and please share yours in the comments! Also, if you need a new coat to stave off the cold, we suggest our Who What Wear wrap coat for $60.
1. Fogging up your sunglasses, but being too cold to take your hands out of your pockets to wipe them. Walking half-blindly into the street.
2. Stepping onto a seemingly innocent pile of white snow only to find yourself ankle-deep in a puddle of half-frozen waste. #byeshoes
3. Dealing with the ever-growing dreadlock of hair bestowed by your coats, scarves, and hoods.
4. Magically managing to keep track of both gloves for the duration of winter.
5. Developing a deep seated distaste for your black tights.
6. Two words: road salt.
7. Only getting to show off your outfit to your co-workers. In a chair. At your desk.
8. Never having a commuter bag large enough to carry your gym clothes, shoe changes, lunch because it's too cold to leave the office, umbrella…
9. Realizing those cute mittens you bought serve no purpose if you own an iPhone.
10. Feeling the pressure to get that perfect snow day Instagram, but secretly wanting to stay inside all day.
11. Forgetting to check the forecast and getting caught in a torrential rainstorm, spending 20 minutes under an awning.
12. Having it be so bright you need sunglasses, but so cold you need earmuffs. Crushing your ears slowly but surely.
13. Having to strip down to a T-shirt once you get to the office because the heat is (always) too high.
14. Not getting to strip down on the subway when you're sweating underneath your parka.
15. Missing out on seasonal footwear trends like velvet boots or slippers because they'll be ruined within five minutes of walking outside.
Do you live in New York (or somewhere like it)? Tell us your fashion struggles in the comments.
Opening Image: Christian Vierig/Getty Images