One thing we know for sure is the right foundation and concealer are essential to building the literal foundation of a makeup look. However, the eyes are where a blank, even canvas comes alive. Unfortunately, so much of the time, I am guilty of using the same old eye products to create my looks because the color of my eyes doesn't necessarily pop. But lucky for me (and anyone else with brown eyes), I enlisted the advice of expert Fatima Thomas, senior national makeup artist at MAC Cosmetics, to help narrow down how to select the best eye shadow palettes for brown eyes.
For starters, Thomas shares that highlighting brown eyes is all about contrast. "Brown eyes look fantastic in colors that give them contrast," Thomas says. "Colors like deep blues, greens, and teals [work well]. Plums and violets are great as well." For extra oomph, she also recommends rimming the waterline with MAC Kohl Power Eye Pencil in Feline. "It's an intense carbon black that makes brown eyes look like chocolate drops."
With that sound advice in mind, keep reading for our top picks of eye shadow palettes for beautiful brown eyes.
1. Victoria Beckham Beauty Smoky Eye Brick in Royal
The Victoria Beckham Beauty Eye Brick is beloved. Rightfully so. With four rich shades in satin-matte finishes packed into one palette, what's not to love? I am usually tempted to reach for more neutral shadow colors. However, the rich blue shadows in Marine and Cerulean are perfect for making brown eyes pop.
2. Pat McGrath Labs Mothership IX Eyeshadow Palette: Huetopian Dream
3. Anastasia Beverly Hills Norvina Eyeshadow Palette
4. Tom Ford Eye Color Quad Eyeshadow Palette in African Violet
With this bright, luxe four-pack palette, you can create a vibrant eye look with bursts of violet, copper-gold, brown, and orange.
5. MAC Size of the Prize Eyeshadow Palette
6. Nars Climax Eyeshadow Palette
7. Byredo Eyeshadow in Sciomancer
8. Urban Decay Naked Wild West Eyeshadow Palette
9. Uoma Beauty Black Magic Poise Color Palette
10. Charlotte Tilbury Luxury Palette in Green Lights
11. Glossier Monochromes in Mist
12. Givenchy Le 9 de Givenchy Eyeshadow Palette in Glimmering Emerald
Planning a look for an event that requires long-wear formulas? Givenchy's eye shadow palette filled with nine high-pigment hues with matte, satin, glitter, and metallic finishes offers up to 12 hours of wear. If that's not enough to draw you in, the gorgeous metallic emerald green and gold shadows will make you hit "add to cart" instantly.
13. Chanel Les 4 Ombres Multi-Effect Quadra Eyeshadow in Blurry Green
Inspired by threads of Chanel tweed, this four-hued palette offers neutral-toned shades with finishes that range from matte to satin to shimmer that add color, contour, and highlight in one compact.
14. Buxom Ash K Holm Eyeshadow Palette
15. Fenty Beauty Snap Shadows Mix & Match Eyeshadow Palette
This customizable palette filled with matte, shimmer, and glitter finishes offers an opportunity to "snap" any two palettes of your choice together, giving you 12 shades to work with if you choose. Our picks for brown eyes are Smoky and Cadet.