Although we count down the days till summer every year, we tend to forget that the warmest season comes with a host of irritating wardrobe issues that are either nonexistent (or at least easier to handle) when it's chilly outside. Whether it's finding the right bathing suit for your body, choosing fabrics that are airy enough to deflect sweat stains, or finding a pair of cute sandals that can also handle the wear and tear of the season—the sartorial struggles are endless.
Every season brings a new set of potential wardrobe malfunctions, but the most annoying (and persistent) of them all is probably the perpetual presence of blisters on your feet, which is especially common if you opt to wear shoes without socks. As we get ready for fall, we're gearing up to wear the season's best loafers (and do whatever we can to avoid the pain they often cause).
To help resolve this issue once and for all, we dug up an old Vogue article that turned to fashionable men for the solution.
As experts in the sockless, shoe-wearing field, they offered the following tips:
- Opt for men's loafer socks (this type is lower than most and easily hidden), as they are actually "thicker than the sheer, hosiery-style" loafer socks offered to women.
- Take your shoes off carefully on especially warm days: Blisters can get torn up, and thus more painful, if you whip off your shoes too quickly.
- Consider taking your new shoes to a place like Manhattan's famous Leather Spa, or the local cobbler, where they will break in your shoes for you.
- Sprinkle talcum powder in your shoes to fend off sweat. Vogue recommends classic Gold Bond, the talc-free Burt's Bees option, or Acqua di Parma Colonia Talcum Powder.
- Always, always carry Band-Aids, just in case!
Keep reading to shop some of our favorite loafer styles to wear without socks!
The shiny finish is hands down the color of the season.
A little bit of leather fringe gives this pair an scholarly feel.
The coolest hardware.
Meet your next power shoes.
For the red lover.
For the minimalist.
Somewhere between mules and loafers.
A suede loafer, because everyone needs one.
Heeled loafers just got a cool upgrade.
A pointed toe will never fail you.
If you're looking for a subtle way to try the white shoe trend, this is it.
Your go-to loafers just got a lift—literally.
We love patent leather.
We want to wear this color on everything for fall.
No one does a platform like Prada.
Anything you can fold down into a mule will be your best blister-avoiding option.
The contrast sole makes this a standout pair.
That one-inch heel makes all the difference. Believe us.
Give us all the platforms, please!