Let's just call it like it is: I've always been a tomboy. Or, maybe I'd describe it as 80% tomboy. I lean toward athleisure, jeans, sneakers, and tees. And while I can't lie, I do love to dress up every once in a while (that's where the other 20% comes in), I have to say I've generally avoided dressing in anything too feminine like a pink, ruffly plague.
But, the last few years, as a certain ladylike style has crept back into fashion, I've found myself surprisingly smitten. There was a day when my mom wore kitten heels or cat-eye glasses, and I was quick to tease her, but these days, we dress more alike than differently.
Still, coming around to feminine dressing has been a slow, deliberate process. I love elegant lady-like pieces but don't feel like myself in anything too girly. So, for me, it's been about leaning into the trend on my terms, and learning how to pair something girly with the more relaxed pieces I already love. Below, I'm highlighting a few examples of how I've slowly tried to master the look. Check it out, and then shop the feminine pieces I want to wear.
Love an ultra-feminine dress? Try layering a tee underneath.
Find unexpected ways to style ultra-feminine details like bell-sleeves.
Mix masculine and feminine, like pairing a structured blazer with a girly skirt.
Dress down extra-girly shoes by pairing them with relaxed jeans and a T-shirt.
If you're wearing a particularly feminine dress, try swapping heels for sneakers.
Shop Feminine Pieces
It's impossible not to fall in love with this drapey masterpiece.
We're weaving our way through the summer with this one.
These details are beyond lovely.
A fresh take on your grandmother's pearls.
No wonder Mansur Gavriel has stolen the hearts of fashion girls everywhere.
These satin sandals define luxury.
It's about time we adopt some color into our wardrobes.
This dress is about to be your go-to for summer date nights.
Simple florals feel especially romantic.
This sweetheart neckline is the epitome of retro glamour.
Pair this breezy top with white pants for effortless style in seconds.
Pass the pleats, please.
Because it's fun to be girly sometimes.
These pumps were made for an LBD.
This delicate off-the-shoulder top is seriously gorgeous.
The summer skirt you'll never want to take off.
Post–Memorial Day calls for all-white all the time.
The kind of slip dress you'll never want to hide.
Want more of my style insight? Here's what happened when top bloggers evaluated my Instagram.