Ksubi co-founder Dan Single and his model wife Bambi Northwood-Blyth are one of Australia’s coolest fashion couples, and the launch of their new label P.Jamé at Fashion Week Australia today, is one we’ve been looking forward to all week. With Single’s past fashion-show experience, and Northwood-Blyth’s overseas modelling experience and exposure to the world’s best designers, we’re excited for what’s to come.
Ahead of tonight’s show, we caught up with the couple to find out about their most memorable fashion week moments. Keep scrolling to find out what they are (and see if you remember these, too).
Courtesy of Dan Single
1. The first show I ever attended was the Tigerlily show in 2001, when Kristy Hinze walked the runway with a python and $5 million dollar bikini. I was so excited to finally be at a show and well, pretty impressed.
2. Not sure what year, but I remember spending the entire day in my surf shop trying to get a plus one to a Morrissey after party. I sat by the phone all day and into the night, until at 10 p.m. when my friend said we could get in. I jumped the L90 bus from Avalon, Sydney and arrived at the party at midnight in Pyrmont, Sydney—proudly sporting my leather jeans, feeling like a Sydney LEGEND.
3. Our first Ksubi show we sent rats down the runway… Too much to talk about here, but the journey and the lead-up was incredible, and the after-effect was just as incredible. We scored the front page of 12 newspapers around the world. From our one New Generation show we doubled the press for the entire fashion week.
4. In our third year of Ksubi (2002), thinking we were absolute rulers, we decided to hire a floating barge and host parties and shows throughout the whole week of fashion week. Every night was Ksubi night. Mike Delany decorated the place like a tortured pirate ship, we flew in friends from overseas to perform, and on the night of our official show, we had our models walk a catwalk throughout the boat, walk off the top story into the harbour, then swim back to the ladder and do the final lap, drenched in water.
5. Our 10 year anniversary of Ksubi, showed at the Hordern Pavilion Sydney. Fashion legend Brana Wolf styled the show, and Emma Balfour made a runway return.
1.Balenciaga S/S 10 in Paris is one of my most memorable fashion week moments. It was my first overseas runway, so you can't really beat that. Plus, Gisele Bündchen walked only a few people before me.
2. Another S/S 10 show walking Chanel at the Grand Palais with Karl Lagerfeld. A 90-piece orchestra playing, and every major supermodel was there—crazy!
3. The Kenzo S/S 10 show, also in Paris. I was on a running carousel—it was like being at a fun park!
4. The Topshop S/S 10 show in London. There were so many models there and I was waiting since 5 a.m. The show was at 12 p.m. and every single model had already been sent out. I was shaking with nerves that I had been cancelled... then I got pushed out the door and CLOSED the entire show.
5. Dan and Bambi’s launch of P.Jamé 2016… Watch this space. ????
What's your favourite fashion week memory? Share in the comments below.