Timeless Essential: Gucci's Bamboo Handbag
Much like the brand itself, Gucci’s Bamboo Handbag comes with an innovative and storied history. First created in 1947, the original bag offered a stylish solution to the war’s scarce rationing of materials like leather and metal with its bamboo handle design. A large international celebrity following solidified its must-have status, making it an instant success for the house. While the classic bag has seen several modifications throughout the years, two things remain the same: its impeccable craftsmanship and timeless appeal. Keep reading to learn more about Gucci’s iconic Bamboo Handbag and shop the story below.
1. Paola di Liegi photographed carrying the Bamboo Handbag in 1964.
2. 2013 Gucci Bamboo Collection campaign image.
3. Gucci patent for the ladies' Bamboo Handbag in 1958.
4. Abbey Lee Kershaw models with the brand's Lady Lock Leather Top Handle Bag for the current campaign.
5. The Bamboo Bangle takes after the original handle design of the Bamboo Handbag.
6. Vanessa Redgrave holding the Bamboo Handbag on the set of the film Blow Up in 1966.
7. The classic Bamboo Handbag was reinvented in luxe python for an of-the-moment look.