How to Cut a Shirt to Give Your Basic Top New Life
Just as the basic T-shirt will never fall out of fashion, customizing them with a pair of scissors has long been an easy homemade way to infuse them with added cool factor. Knowing how to cut a shirt into something greater than the sum of its former parts is a skill that's easy to acquire—many of us just don't take the time to do it. The coolest kids in high school were pros at reworking their wardrobes with handcrafted, personalized details, and the cool pack of today—It girls, off-duty models, and style setters from all walks of life—are doing the same. Whether switching up hemlines with a quick snip or giving a neckline a nostalgic flair, making the right cut with the right pair of scissors can completely transform an everyday T-shirt.
Head below for our step-by-step directions on how to cut a shirt three different ways.
- Try on the shirt you want to cut, and mark a couple centimeters below where you want the shirt bottom to end.
- Lie the shirt down on a flat surface and cut across the line.
- Pull shirt at its side seams; then release to make the fabric curl over.
- Cut the collar off the shirt.
- Carefully snip slightly below the collar until desired amount of boatneck is achieved.
- Pull fabric at the shoulder seams; then release to make neckline curl over.