Fashion Week may seem like an exclusive event for the elite few, but it actually has many amusing parallels that translate to everyday life. From teachable moments on social hierarchies (if you’ve ever seen runway show seat jockeying or a clash of fashion egos, you know what we mean) to tactics to get through a grueling day, scroll down to see the greatest lessons we’ve learned from Fashion Week.
13 Fashion Week Lessons That Work in Real Life Too
- 1 of 13
1. If you didn’t Instagram it, you weren’t there.
In the age of social validation, you’ve got to ‘gram up or get out.
- 2 of 13
2. Name-dropping is annoying, but sometimes it totally works.
We recommend avoiding the habit, but on rare occasions, dropping a well-placed designer name can be impressive.
- 3 of 13
3. Kids always steal the scene.
Nobody does cute like a well-dressed kid.
- 4 of 13
4. Even the pouty ones.
Just look at her mini trench coat!
- 5 of 13
5. No one’s on time.
Most shows run about thirty minutes late. That said, punctuality is always the best policy.
- 6 of 13
6. It’s chic to be practical.
When you’re going to be on your feet all day, a well-styled pair of sneakers just makes sense.
- 7 of 13
7. Your mom was right: You should always pack a snack.
Is that a banana in your Chanel bag or are you just
happy to see uswell-prepared?
- 8 of 13
8. Sipping S.Pellegrino is a great way to look fancy.
Tap water is for peasants. We kid, but there’s something about that green bottle that feels extra special.
- 9 of 13
9. Some people have other people to hold their metaphorical umbrella. Try not to be jealous.
There will always be someone who has more than you, and always someone who has less. Try and avoid comparisons, because more often than not, you can hold you own darn umbrella!
- 10 of 13
10. Don’t take yourself too seriously.
We could all learn something from Cara Delevingne’s wacky faces.
- 11 of 13
11. When in doubt, pretend you just got an important text.
Your cellphone security blanket has your back.
- 12 of 13
12. There’s no shame in using your feminine wiles to get into an exclusive party.
You didn’t wear that sheer lace dress for nothing, right?
- 13 of 13
13. There will always be some version of your high school cafeteria’s popular table. Don’t let it bother you.
Front row, schrmont row.
Have you ever been to fashion week? Did any of these lessons ring true to you? Let us know in the comments below!