After spotting Oscar de la Renta's Bijoux Faille Low Waist Skinny Pants ($1390) on the runway earlier this year, we couldn't get them out of our head. These were just the kind of trousers we needed to elevate our cold-weather wardrobe, as they're at once both elegant and playful. While we could style them with a chic cashmere sweater and ballet flats for more casual occasions, we can just as easily take them to night by adding a silky button-up and sleek stilettos. And the best part? No jewelry required--they enrich an ensemble on their own.
Accordingly, you can imagine our excitement when D.I.Y. expert Erica Domesek of P.S. I Made This said she could help us craft our very own inspired-by pair. The process was simple, requiring only a handful of ingredients and five easy-to-follow steps. An excellent option for holiday party season, this is one project you don't want to skip. Read on for all the important details.--Jessica Baker
-Flat-front pocketless pants ($13)
-Oscar de la Renta Jewel Earrings (Note: if you're on a budget, Forever 21's Rhinestone Teardrop Earrings ($6) will do the trick too.)
-Avery Dark T-Shirt Transfers ($20)
1. Place the jewelry you want to feature on a flat surface and take photos of each piece with a digital camera or your phone.
2. Print the images onto a dark fabric transfer sheet. (Note: you may have to repeat the photo depending on how many pieces you use.)
3. Cut out the jewel transfers and place them on the pants to create a pattern.
4. Peel the backside of the jewel transfers and iron onto the pants as directed by the Avery Dark Fabric Transfers packet.
5. The Oscar de la Renta pants feature the print on the backside too, so if you're feeling really adventurous and would like to do the same to your pair, repeat Steps 3-4 on the back. To avoid any awkward positioning, limit the jewel transfers to just the calves.