Alexander McQueen Gloves
As you've probably gathered by now, your WWW editors are especially fond of this time of year, mainly because it calls for so many glamorous accessories. At this point, we've already waxed poetic about the season's ample offering of glittery bags, fancy shoes, and festive headwear, but there's one particular accessory that has all our attention right now: Alexander McQueen's Embroidered Fingerless Gloves ($674)! A glitzy twist on an oft-understated winter wardrobe essential, these crystal-embellished gloves are not only guaranteed to make a sartorial statement this New Year's Eve, but are also perfect for giving your day-to-day ensembles a cozy-chic finish!
Considering we have at least three more chilly months of winter left, we'd definitely file these ladylike, designer hand-warmers under "worthy investment," however, we also know that the holidays can be a wee bit harsh on a girl's bank account. Thus, we called on Erica Domesek of P.S. I Made This to lend us her expert crafting skills and help us create a truly fabulous and affordable pair of Alexander McQueen-inspired gloves for our December Do It Yourself story! Fortunately, fashioning this luxe accessory is rather simple to do, all you need is about 30 minutes and handful of materials, most of which you should already have around your house! So gather your friends and let the D.I.Y. festivities begin!-Jessica Baker
If you already own a pair of fingerless gloves, or would rather purchase a pair instead of making your own, please skip to step 6.
- First, you need to make your fingerless gloves! Using your scissors, cut across your gloves horizontally, removing all the fingers. Then snip off the tip off the thumb.
- Next, it's time to make an insert for the gloves. Start by cutting the feet off the socks. The idea is to create a tube shape that is approximately 12-inches long..
- Halfway down the long side of the sock, make a one slit (approximately one-inch long), which will act as the thumbhole.
- Slide the fingerless glove inside the sock tube and pull the glove's thumb through the slit.
- Repeat Steps 1-4 for the second glove.
- Now it's time to create the gloves' embellishments! For the first glove, glue the hot dog-shaped beads onto each brooch to create dimension. Ideally, you should create a sunburst effect, as shown above, but customize the gloves however you want.
- Wait approximately 10 minutes or until completely dry.
- Once you are finished with both brooches, pin or glue them to the glove.